Author
Melpomene
Melpomene
Level 194
Sex Appeal: 5821526
Antitheocra
02.06.2023 16:13:30
Melpomene

This is a sub-thread of The New and Improved BL Bookclub, where we take on reading projects together and gather to discuss them together after some time. Specifically, this thread is meant for discussing Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. Feel free to comment your thoughts on this specific book here (even if your reading this months in the future). For inquiries regarding the bookclub itself, please consult the main thread.

Master And Margarita
by Mikhail Bulgakov

"One hot spring, the devil arrives in Moscow, accompanied by a retinue that includes a beautiful naked witch and an immense talking black cat with a fondness for chess and vodka. The visitors quickly wreak havoc in a city that refuses to believe in either God or Satan. But they also bring peace to two unhappy Muscovites: one is the Master, a writer pilloried for daring to write a novel about Christ and Pontius Pilate; the other is Margarita, who loves the Master so deeply that she is willing literally to go to hell for him. What ensues is a novel of inexhaustible energy, humor, and philosophical depth, a work whose nuances emerge for the first time in Diana Burgin's and Katherine Tiernan O'Connor's splendid English version."

Genre: Magical Realism, Fantasy, Classic, Historical

Length: Around 372 pages (140,350 words)

Reading schedule:
May 16th to June 2nd: Reading time for “Book One” (Chapters 1-18)
June 2nd to June 5th: Official discussion time for “Book One” (continues unofficially after that)
June 5th to June 23rd: Reading time for “Book Two” (Chapters 19-32)
June 23rd and onwards: Official Discussion time for “Book Two”
Note: The plan is subject to change based on the length and difficulty of the book chosen as well as the general reading progress of the majority

Online resources:
https://www.d-pdf.com/book/663/read (full text pdf, slightly better format, more difficult to navigate)
There’s also a good professional audiobook you can find on most audiobook services and beyond with fairly little effort.

NOTE: CURRENTLY DISCUSSING PART 1 (CHAPTER 1 TO 18) ONLY. Discussion on full book to start June 23rd.

Question to start off the discussion:

-         Some sources describe Master and Margarita as a work of “magical realism”. Certainly, the novel is full of fantastical events and sleights of hand. Does this make the narration unreliable at parts? Do the characters react realistically to the magic they encounter?

-         What kind of morals do you think are present in the novel? Is there any rhyme or reason to who is met with “bad luck” after coming in contact with Woland and his entourage?

-         To what extent do individuals in the novel control their own fate? Is all predetermined? Does Woland read faiths or rewrite them?

-         Although the point of view character switches around quite a bit, the narration certainly seems to have personality on top of that? How would you describe the tone of the novel?

-         Why does Woland insist, against the beliefs of Berlioz and Ivan, that Jesus really existed?

02.06.2023 16:13:30

Furiously drawing new designs 

StrangeKindOfWoman
Level 94
Sex Appeal: 648479
Antitheocra
02.06.2023 17:43:06
StrangeKindOfWoman

I'm on chapter 16 but I will share some very unstructured thoughts I had so far:
The presence of the devil and especially the chapter about Pilatus made me think of The Rolling Stones song Sympathy for the devil. And I think I've read somewhere this book inspired them to write the song.

There are quite many characters and they are difficult to differentiate for me. The only thing that sets the characters apart from one another is their profession. I couldn't describe the personality of any of the characters. I wonder, if someone else feels like this or, if this could be a deliberate choice by the author.

Also, I don't really get what the book is actually about. It seems to me like a lot of teasing for what's about to come later.

That might've sounded more negative than I intented :D but I actually quite like the writing style

02.06.2023 17:43:06
I am always stressed out by not knowing how to act like a normal person
CinnamonSugar
Level 160
Sex Appeal: 3224404
Freethinkerland
02.06.2023 20:45:38
CinnamonSugar

To be honest, I haven't gotten to chapter 18 either. 

I'm glad someone else is having trouble understanding what the book is really about. I am having trouble "getting into" the book. I told my partner that I felt like it was jumping around a lot. 

For example, I was initially confused by transition from chapter 1 with Berlioz & Homeless in the park to chapter 2 with Pontius Pilate. I was like, "Did we just go back in time? How did we go from 'modern' time, roughly 1960s Russia, to BC or early AD in Judea?"...Then, I thought the chapter was supposed to be written by Homeless. Then, chapter 3 switches back to the park & we find out that the third person had told the story of Pontius Pilate to Berlioz & Homeless.

Which brings me to another issue. I'm not sure that third person had a name. He's described as a foreigner, an interlocuter, a professor, and more. The writer describes people without necessarily using a name to identify the character. This can make it confusing to know who's talking or what's happening. 

I am curious how others feel about this writing style.    

02.06.2023 20:45:38
“If you know someone who’s depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn’t a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.” ~Stephen Fry
Living with depression? Connect with others at the Mental Health Check-in.
StrangeKindOfWoman
Level 94
Antitheocra
03.06.2023 19:15:22
StrangeKindOfWoman

For me it was the opposite. There are too many names and I can't tell them apart at all :D 

Concerning the questions, I guess it could make the narration unreliable. That didn't really come to mind to me but it's quute interesting and I will focus mkre on this when I continue reading. 
I think most people react realistically to the magic, but who can really tell as nobody in real life has ever witnessed actual magic, right? Right?

I don't believe the individuals in the novel have a chance to control their own fate once Woland steps into their lives. And I think that was probably the point Woland tries to make since the first chapter. Like in chapter 17, when people just start singing against their will. 

03.06.2023 19:15:22
「DECADANCE」- Counting Goats... if I can't be yours-
Level 80
Sex Appeal: 401341
Atheista

I'm super behind I'm in the middle of chapter 9 right now but I just want to say it seems as though there's a connection between Woland and migraines which i thought was funny. Both Pontius Pilate and and Stepa Likhodeyev had headaches and Woland was supposed to be around both times haha I'm just going to say I get my migraines from the devil next time someone asks what causes them.

So far I don't find the narration particularly unreliable so much as a bit confusing with how it jumps around like Cinnamon and Strange both noticed. I've also noticed it is much clearer in the translation I have a physical copy of than in the pdf version i'm reading online at work
Part of me wonders if the jumping around from person to person is supposed to evoke the confusion and frustration with bureaucracy i've encountered while reading kafka (lol sorry please bear with me, kafka is the only other russian writer i've read so far) It almost seems like it's turning the trope of being thwarted by bureaucracy on its head by instead showing Woland and crew deftly getting everything they want and all the bureaucrats they would normally have to go through (manager of the theater, chairman of the tenants association, etc) are instead the ones baffled but also numbly accepting that if it's written on paper (contracts, letters, etc) it must be true. It's very interesting lol but it is definitely a difficult read.
Okay! Those are my thoughts so far! Time to try and reach chapter 18!

07.06.2023 19:43:55
*hands you a monster*
StrangeKindOfWoman
Level 94
Antitheocra
07.06.2023 19:49:09
StrangeKindOfWoman

Love your observation about bureaucracy!

07.06.2023 19:49:09
「DECADANCE」- Counting Goats... if I can't be yours-
Level 80
Sex Appeal: 401341
Atheista

thanks! haha here's a quote from Koroviev (Woland's... coworker?? haha) from the version of chapter 9 I'm reading on the computer that matches the interesting bureaucracy themes "Who is official and who is unofficial these days? It all depends on your point of view. It's all so vague and changeable, Nikanor Ivanovich. Today I'm unofficial, tomorrow, hey presto! I'm official! Or maybe vice-versa-- who knows?"

it made me laugh, I don't think this line was translated like this in my hard copy book (I'll have to check the translator when i get home) but I really like this quote.

07.06.2023 20:19:43
*hands you a monster*
StrangeKindOfWoman
Level 94
Antitheocra
23.06.2023 12:27:36
StrangeKindOfWoman

Ok, I really have to say I didn't enjoy reading this. I have a feeling this would be a great one to read at school and analyse to death. I thought it was very metaphorical which I apparently do not like. Most of the time I didn't know what the hell was going on.
Also, it probably would have helped to know what was living in 1930s Russia like. 

23.06.2023 12:27:36
Melpomene
Level 194
Sex Appeal: 5821526
Antitheocra
24.06.2023 16:02:23
Melpomene

(Sorry about missing the discussion start yesterday. I had completely forgotten it'd be midsummer's eve and ended up being too busy with the festivities to finish the last few chapters)

I felt largely similarly with you all, struggling to find clear meaning of cohesive structure in this novel.  There were reoccuring characters, sure, but I can't tell if the book had any sort of statement of theme behind it. I suspect, that it maybe didn't, and the absurdity was perhaps the intended result. I'm not sure.It's possible my groggy brain just isn't working well enough to uneart what all this was supposed to mean. Regardless of the aimlesslness, however, I quite enjoyed reading this. I liked observing people coming in contact with absurdity and was just able to kind of accept anything that happened. Why was it that Margaritha was able to free Frieda with justing knowing she could? Who knows? Let's just go with it! I was just in on the ride, not trying to follow it too much, so I ended up kind of liking tone-wise

I think the name is a little misleading. It leads you to believe this is a story primarily about Master and Margarita, but while theirs was the only complete and long tale, I'm not sure that they as characters were much more important than others. This is more like a collection of the mayhem that ensued when the devil came to Moscow. Sure, there is most emphasis on this couple who get reunited and bound together but that is sort of like a byproduct of the story rather than the point of it. Make any sense?

Can anyone help me understand what the Pontius Pilate chapters added to the story? I can only speculate with this. I did sort of like historical angle and different perspective they added. It just seemed like it was mostly there to divide up the main timeline? Maybe you could argue that they were an explanation about guilt, consequencies, and self-imposed beliefs limiting people? There was some of that kind of phiolosophy elsewhere in the novel. Like with how that Berlioz, the guy who got run over by the tram, "departed into the void" and became nothing after death because that what he believed would happen.

That's it based on what you all made me think. Here are some more discussion questions based on the whole novel for you:

-         Again, I was left wonder, does Woland identify victims at random? Is the rhyme and reason to who he hurts and who he doesn’t?

-         Are parts of Master’s story supposed to be reflections on Bulgakov’s own experiences as a writer? What parts? How?

-         The Master and Margarita are sent to spend eternity together “in peace”- but notably this is not considered a form “light” or salvation. Neither does it seem to be hell. What kind of implications does this kind of fate have about afterlife? Do you agree with their fate?

-         What about the fate of any other character in the novel? Do you see much injustice with how people ended up in the end?

-         What similarities does the book have with the story of Faust?

-         What kind of theological themes/statements attracted your attention in reading Master and Margarita?

24.06.2023 16:02:23

Furiously drawing new designs 

StrangeKindOfWoman
Level 94
Antitheocra
26.06.2023 05:27:29
StrangeKindOfWoman

I found the title to be misleading aswell. I would have named it something like The devil went down to Moscow :D 

One of the questions before was how the people react to the magic. And while most of them tried to rationalise what was happening by saying it was hypnosis for example, Margarita quickly accepts the magic of Woland. I thought that was interesting but I don't really know what makes her different from the rest in that regard. 

I think Decadance was really on point with her comment about bureaucracy, that means that Woland doesn't identify victims at random. That's probably because there was a lot of hate for the bureaucrats in that era. From what I've read the people thought bureaucrats were responsible for all that was wrong in the country at that time. 

Also, I don't know much about Faust but I think Mephistopheles calls himself Woland at one point, so there is a clear connection. 

26.06.2023 05:27:29

Please LOGIN to post a reply.

Ximboland asks you to accept cookies for performance, social media and advertising purposes. Social media and advertising cookies of third parties are used to offer you social media functionalities and personalised ads. To get more information about these cookies and the processing of your personal data, check our Privacy & Cookie Policy.
For more information on Google's privacy policy please see here. By continuing to browse you consent to our cookies.
OK

Cookies and Policy

Cookies Policy

Ximbolands uses cookies on https://ximbo.land. By using the Service, you consent to the use of cookies.

Our Cookies Policy explains what cookies are, how we use cookies, how third-parties we may partner with may use cookies on the Service, your choices regarding cookies and further information about cookies.

What are cookies

Cookies are small pieces of text sent by your web browser by a website you visit. A cookie file is stored in your web browser and allows the Service or a third-party to recognize you and make your next visit easier and the Service more useful to you.

Cookies can be "persistent" or "session" cookies.

How Ximbolands uses cookies

When you use and access the Service, we may place a number of cookies files in your web browser.

We use cookies for the following purposes: to enable certain functions of the Service, to provide analytics, to store your preferences, to enable advertisements delivery, including behavioral advertising.

We use both session and persistent cookies on the Service and we use different types of cookies to run the Service. We may use essential cookies to authenticate users and prevent fraudulent use of user accounts.

Third-party cookies

In addition to our own cookies, we may also use various third-parties cookies to report usage statistics of the Service, deliver advertisements on and through the Service, and so on.

What are your choices regarding cookies

If you'd like to delete cookies or instruct your web browser to delete or refuse cookies, please visit the help pages of your web browser.

Please note, however, that if you delete cookies or refuse to accept them, you might not be able to use all of the features we offer, you may not be able to store your preferences, and some of our pages might not display properly.

Where can your find more information about cookies

You can learn more about cookies and the following third-party websites:

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Ximbo land ?
The Internet republic of Ximbo lands is the worlds first Internet republic.

What is its mission?
To unite the world.

Where is MissBimbo.com? Miss Bimbo was much better than this site.
The Internet republic of Ximbo land was created by Miss Bimbo herself and is its more intelligent successor. The old site was for junior bimbos. This site is for intelligent Ximbos.

What is the national flag of Ximbo land?
Ximbolands Flag

When was the Internet republic of Ximbo land founded

What is the capital city of the Internet republic of Ximbo land?
Bimbo City

How many states make up the internet republic of Ximbo land?
There are 6 states that make up the internet republic of Ximbo lands. They are ­ Atheistia, Freethinkerland, Reasonopia, Agnostica, Secville, and Antitheocra. Bimbo City is the neutral administrative capital and is its own city zone. Boob Island is the home of the President of the Internet republic of Ximbo land

What is a Ximbo citizen?
A ‘Ximbo’ or ‘Ximbo citizen’ is a member of the internet republic of Ximbolands community.

How can I become a Ximbo citizen?
In order to become a citizen of Ximboland you must first pass the Ximbolands citizens test. It is free to become a Ximbo citizen.

What is a Ximbo senator?
A Ximbo senator is a senior member of the Internet republic of Ximbo land. Only senators are eligible to put themselves forward for election to become State Ministers and then ultimately the Prime Ximbo.

Who is the Prime Ximbo?
The Prime Ximbo is the democratically elected head of the Internet republic of Ximbo land.

Where does the Prime Ximbo live?
The Prime Ximbo lives in the Pink House for the 4 month term they are in office.

I want to become Prime Ximbo. How do I do that?
Any Ximbo citizen can become Prime Ximbo using the democratic process. Its a 3 stage process from Senator>State Minister> Prime Ximbo. All Ximbo citizens can vote in general elections but in order to put themselves forward to become Prime Ximbo they must first become a Ximbo senator. All Ximbo senators are electable as state ministers. State Minister elections take place every 4 months also. Only state ministers are eligible to then become the Prime Ximbo.

Can I become Prime Ximbo more than once?
Yes ­ a Ximbo can hold the position of Prime Ximbo for 3 terms max.

How often do elections take place?
The Internet republic of Ximbolands holds elections every 4 months for Prime Ximbo and 4 months for State Minister.

Where do important discussions take place?
The Forum.

What is the treasury/Prime Ximbos salary?
The treasury/salary is the bank account of the Internet republic of Ximbo land. This figure is transferred to the paypal account of the Prime Ximbo at the end of their 4 month term in charge.

How is the treasury calculated?
The treasury is funded by the Ximbo citizens.
A percentage of the money paid by Ximbo citizens via Paypal and SMS is transferred into the Ximbo treasury. The rest is wisely used for further game development.

What's the national colour of Ximbo land?
Pink

How old must I be in order to become a Ximbo land citizen?
Anyone over the age of 18 are welcome to become a Ximbo citizen.

When are the national holidays of Ximbo land?
Jan 1st ­ New years day
Feb 12th ­ Darwin day
Feb 14th ­ Lovers day
March 8th ­ Womens day
March 21st ­ Spring solstice
April 13th ­ The Hitchslap Day (Christopher Hitchens birthday)
May 3rd ­ National day of reason
June 21st ­ World Humanist Day
Aug 2nd ­ The Internet republic of Ximbo land national day
Sep 21st ­ Peace one day
Dec 25th ­ Newtons birthday

What is the currency of Ximbo land?
The Ximbo Dollar (B$). Currently it is pegged in value to the US$

Who is the President of Ximbo land?
Miss Bimbo is the president of Ximbo land. She founded the bimbo nation in 2007 after escaping the tyranny, bigotry and and conservatism of the old world. You can read more about her here and here

Report a problem

Type name of the Ximbo you are looking for...