The New and Improved BL Bookclub

Created
Melpomene
Level 194
Sex Appeal: 5811984
Antitheocra
15.04.2023 09:22:02
Melpomene

Great to see all the new people! Looking forward to all the lovely conversation in the future. A lot of recommendations of books I'm not really familiar with - but all sound like fun <3

I read Pride and Prejudice recently too. Initially was a little hesitant to open it because in my mind I put it in the same category as Wuthering Heights, and I cannot emphasize how much I do not like Wuthering Heights - but I really enjoyed the snarkiness in Pride and Prejudice 

15.04.2023 09:22:02

Furiously drawing new designs 

DeeDeeSims
Level 57
Sex Appeal: 145542
Reasonopia
15.04.2023 14:25:59
DeeDeeSims

Hi Everyone,  I'd love to join 

15.04.2023 14:25:59
To Exist is to Change
To Change is to Grow
To Grow is to Become
     The Butterfly
You Were Always
       Meant to Be...  .

rzenskaa
Level 137
Sex Appeal: 2024653
Reasonopia
15.04.2023 23:42:42
rzenskaa

Aww thanks for an invitation! I just saw it. I just have started reading again after a long break so it would be a lovely motivation! 

15.04.2023 23:42:42

i love when women 
miauore
Level 18
Sex Appeal: 4678
Atheista
18.04.2023 13:08:15
miauore

this is so cute!! i love reading! 

if you're still taking suggestions i'd recommend 100 years of solitude !

18.04.2023 13:08:15

Melpomene
Level 194
Antitheocra
18.04.2023 13:28:37
Melpomene

Yes, the suggestions are still open today :) I've heard a lot of buzz about 100 years of solitude. Sounds like an interesting read!

I'll be putting up the poll tomorrow. On the hindsight, a shorter suggestion period would definitely have worked - but at least people had plenty of time to think it over and weigh in like this ~

18.04.2023 13:28:37

Melpomene
Level 194
Antitheocra
19.04.2023 11:45:57
Melpomene

The suggestion time is now over and I’m here to share the poll options with you (for a link to it and enrolling into the club, send me a message or comment on the thread). Because there are so many options, and I for one would love to read many of them, I though a different polling system might be an order. So rather than picking just one option, this time you can choose a few favorites. Five to be exact. The poll will be open until the 23rd of April, Noon BL time.

Below you will find a short description of each suggestion compiled by me based on online information. I mixed the order of the suggestions around a little to make reading through them more interesting. Take your time to at least glance at them ~

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

'If I had my way, every idiot who goes around with Merry Christmas on his lips, would be boiled with his own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through his heart. Merry Christmas? Bah humbug!'

To bitter, miserly Ebenezer Scrooge, Christmas is just another day. But all that changes when the ghost of his long-dead business partner appears, warning Scrooge to change his ways before it's too late.

Genre: Historical, Classic, Fantasy, Short Story

Length: Around 64 pages (30,762 words)

The Mysterious Mr. Quin by Agatha Christie

It had been a typical New Year’s Eve party. But as midnight approaches, Mr Satterthwaite - ­­a keen observer of human nature – senses that the real drama of the evening is yet to unfold. And so it proves when a mysterious stranger knocks on the door. Who is Mr Quin?

Mr Satterthwaite’s new friend is an enigma. Throughout this collection of short stories he seems to appear and disappear almost like a trick of the light. In fact, the only consistent thing about him is that his presence is always an omen – sometimes good, but sometimes deadly.

Genre: Short Stories, Mystery, Classic, Detective

Length: Around 396 pages (118,404 words)

Working It: Sex Workers on the Work of Sex (edited by Matilda Bickers, peech breshears, Janis Luna; foreword by Molly Smith)

Fiercely intelligent, fantastically transgressive, Working It is an intimate portrait of the lives of sex workers. A polyphonic story of triumph, survival, and solidarity this collection showcases the vastly different experiences and interests of those who have traded sex; among them a brothel worker in Australia, First Nation survivors of the Canadian child welfare system, and an afro-latina single parent raising a radicalized child. Packed with first-person essays, interviews, poetry, drawings, mixed-media collage, and photographs Working It honors the complexity of lived experience. Sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes hardboiled, these dazzling pieces will go straight to the heart.

Genre: Nonfiction, Essay, Poetry

Length: Around 240 pages

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov

One hot spring, the devil arrives in Moscow, accompanied by a retinue that includes a beautiful naked witch and an immense talking black cat with a fondness for chess and vodka. The visitors quickly wreak havoc in a city that refuses to believe in either God or Satan. But they also bring peace to two unhappy Muscovites: one is the Master, a writer pilloried for daring to write a novel about Christ and Pontius Pilate; the other is Margarita, who loves the Master so deeply that she is willing literally to go to hell for him. What ensues is a novel of inexhaustible energy, humor, and philosophical depth, a work whose nuances emerge for the first time in Diana Burgin's and Katherine Tiernan O'Connor's splendid English version.

Genre: Magical Realism, Fantasy, Classic, Historical

Length: Around 372 pages (140,350 words)

A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny

All is not what it seems…

In the murky London gloom, a knife-wielding gentleman named Jack prowls the midnight streets with his faithful watchdog Snuff – gathering together the grisly ingredients they will need for an upcoming ancient and unearthly rite. For soon after the death of the moon, black magic will summon the Elder Gods back into the world. And all manner of Players, both human and undead, are preparing to participate.

Some have come to open the gates. Some have come to slam them shut.

And now the dread night approaches – so let the Game begin.

Genre: Fantasy, Mystery, Horror, Humor, Science Fiction

Length: Around 280 pages (83,720 words)

The Call of Cthulhu by H. P. Lovecraft

Boston, 1926.

Francis Thurston goes through documents left behind by his grandfather's brother, recently deceased under mysterious circumstances. He soon discovers the existence of a cult that worships ancient and unspeakable horrors. Mysterious murders, blood rituals in the depths of the Louisiana swamps, artists who descend into insanity after nightmarish visions, and a Cyclopean city that rises from the sea.

Step by step, Thurston realizes that his relative's research got too close to the truth. In the shadows, there are those who want to wake the sleeping god Cthulhu in order to spread madness and destruction over the entire world. The stars are right. Is the end near?

Genre: Horror, Science Fiction, Classic Short Story

Length: Around 43 pages (11,905 words)

After Dark by Haruki Murakami

Nineteen-year-old Mari is waiting out the night in an anonymous Denny’s when she meets a young man who insists he knows her older sister, thus setting her on an odyssey through the sleeping city. In the space of a single night, the lives of a diverse cast of Tokyo residents—models, prostitutes, mobsters, and musicians—collide in a world suspended between fantasy and reality. Utterly enchanting and infused with surrealism, After Dark is a thrilling account of the magical hours separating midnight from dawn.

Genre: Magical Realism, Contemporary, Fantasy

Length: Around 191 pages (46,929 words)

A Room of One’s Own by Virginia Woolf

A Room of One's Own is an extended essay by Virginia Woolf. First published on the 24th of October, 1929, the essay was based on a series of lectures she delivered at Newnham College and Girton College, two women's colleges at Cambridge University in October 1928. While this extended essay in fact employs a fictional narrator and narrative to explore women both as writers and characters in fiction, the manuscript for the delivery of the series of lectures, titled Women and Fiction, and hence the essay, are considered nonfiction. The essay is seen as a feminist text, and is noted in its argument for both a literal and figural space for women writers within a literary tradition dominated by patriarchy.

Genre: Essay, Classic, Nonfiction, Feminism

Length: Around 112 pages (37,761 words)

Delirium by Lauren Oliver (Delirium #1)

In an alternate United States, love has been declared a dangerous disease, and the government forces everyone who reaches eighteen to have a procedure called the Cure. Living with her aunt, uncle, and cousins in Portland, Maine, Lena Haloway is very much looking forward to being cured and living a safe, predictable life. She watched love destroy her mother and isn't about to make the same mistake.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena meets enigmatic Alex, a boy from the "Wilds" who lives under the government's radar. What will happen if they do the unthinkable and fall in love?

Genre: YA, Dystopia, Romance, Science Fiction, Fantasy

Length: Around 441 pages (114,476 words)

The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

First published in French as a serial in 1909, The Phantom of the Opera is a riveting story that revolves around the young, Swedish Christine Daaé. Her father, a famous musician, dies, and she is raised in the Paris Opera House with his dying promise of a protective angel of music to guide her. After a time at the opera house, she begins hearing a voice, who eventually teaches her how to sing beautifully. All goes well until Christine's childhood friend Raoul comes to visit his parents, who are patrons of the opera, and he sees Christine when she begins successfully singing on the stage. The voice, who is the deformed, murderous 'ghost' of the opera house named Erik, however, grows violent in his terrible jealousy, until Christine suddenly disappears. The phantom is in love, but it can only spell disaster.

Genre: Classic, Gothic, Mystery, Horror, Historical

Length: Around 360 pages (78, 500 words)

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman

A grumpy yet loveable man finds his solitary world turned on its head when a boisterous young family moves in next door.

Meet Ove. He's a curmudgeon, the kind of man who points at people he dislikes as if they were burglars caught outside his bedroom window. He has staunch principles, strict routines, and a short fuse. People call him the bitter neighbor from hell, but must Ove be bitter just because he doesn't walk around with a smile plastered to his face all the time?

Behind the cranky exterior there is a story and a sadness. So when one November morning a chatty young couple with two chatty young daughters move in next door and accidentally flatten Ove's mailbox, it is the lead-in to a comical and heartwarming tale of unkempt cats, unexpected friendship, and the ancient art of backing up a U-Haul. All of which will change one cranky old man and a local residents' association to their very foundations.

Genre: Contemporary, Humor

Length: 337 pages (84 250 words)

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

First, there were ten—a curious assortment of strangers summoned as weekend guests to a little private island off the coast of Devon. Their host, an eccentric millionaire unknown to all of them, is nowhere to be found. All that the guests have in common is a wicked past they're unwilling to reveal—and a secret that will seal their fate. For each has been marked for murder. A famous nursery rhyme is framed and hung in every room of the mansion.

"Ten little boys went out to dine; One choked his little self and then there were nine. […] and then there were none."

When they realize that murders are occurring as described in the rhyme, terror mounts. One by one they fall prey. Before the weekend is out, there will be none. Who has choreographed this dastardly scheme? And who will be left to tell the tale? Only the dead are above suspicion.

Genre: Mystery, Suspense, Classic

Length: Around 264 pages (68,000 words)

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Set in England in the early 19th century, Pride and Prejudice tells the story of Mr and Mrs Bennet's five unmarried daughters after the rich and eligible Mr Bingley and his status-conscious friend, Mr Darcy, have moved into their neighbourhood. While Bingley takes an immediate liking to the eldest Bennet daughter, Jane, Darcy has difficulty adapting to local society and repeatedly clashes with the second-eldest Bennet daughter, Elizabeth.

Though Austen set the story at the turn of the 19th century, it retains a fascination for modern readers, continuing near the top of lists of "most loved books." It has become one of the most popular novels in English literature, selling over 20 million copies, and receives considerable attention from literary scholars.

Genre: Historical, Romance, Classic

Length: Around 279 pages (122,189 words)

The Extras by Scott Westerfeld (Uglies #4, self-contained)

A few years after rebel Tally Youngblood takes down the Specials regime, a cultural renaissance sweeps the world. “Tech-heads” flaunt their latest gadgets, “kickers” spread gossip and trends, and “surge monkeys” are hooked on extreme plastic surgery. Popularity rules, and everyone craves fame.

Fifteen-year-old Aya Fuse is no exception. But Aya’s face rank is so low, she’s a total nobody. An extra. Her only chance at stardom is to kick a wild and unexpected story.

Then she stumbles upon a big secret. Aya knows she is on the cusp of celebrity. But the information she is about to disclose will change both her fate…and that of the brave new world

Genre: YA, Dystopia, Science Fiction, Fantasy

Length: Around 417 pages (87,274 Words)

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

One Hundred Years of Solitude tells the story of the rise and fall, birth and death of the mythical town of Macondo through the history of the Buendiá family. Inventive, amusing, magnetic, sad and alive with unforgettable men and women—brimming with truth, compassion, and a lyrical magic that strikes the soul—this novel is a masterpiece in the art of fiction.

-- A microcosm of Columbian life, its secrets lie hidden, encoded in a book and only Aureliano Buendia can fathom its mysteries and reveal its shrouded destiny. Blending political reality with magic realism, fantasy with comic invention, One Hundred Years of Solitude is one of the most daringly original works of the twentieth century.

Genre: Magical Realism, Historical, Fantasy, Classic

Length: Around 417 pages (144,739 words) 

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (Chaos Walking #1)

Todd Hewitt is the only boy in a town of men. Ever since the settlers were infected with the Noise germ, Todd can hear everything the men think, and they hear everything he thinks. Todd is just a month away from becoming a man, but in the midst of the cacophony, he knows that the town is hiding something from him -- something so awful Todd is forced to flee with only his dog, whose simple, loyal voice he hears too. With hostile men from the town in pursuit, the two stumble upon a strange and eerily silent creature: a girl. Who is she? Why wasn't she killed by the germ like all the females on New World? Propelled by Todd's gritty narration, readers are in for a white-knuckle journey in which a boy on the cusp of manhood must unlearn everything he knows in order to figure out who he truly is.

Genre: YA, Dystopia, Science Fiction, Fantasy

Length: Around 512 pages (112,022 words)

Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy

Jude Fawley's hopes of a university education are lost when he is trapped into marrying the earthy Arabella, who later abandons him. Moving to the town of Christminster where he finds work as a stonemason, Jude meets and falls in love with his cousin Sue Bridehead, a sensitive, freethinking 'New Woman'.

Genre: Classic, Historical, Fiction

Length: Around 310 pages (57,500 words)

The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories by Ken Lui

With his debut novel, The Grace of Kings, taking the literary world by storm, Ken Liu now shares his finest short fiction in The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories. This mesmerizing collection features many of Ken’s award-winning and award-finalist stories, including: “The Man Who Ended History: A Documentary” (Finalist for the Hugo, Nebula, and Theodore Sturgeon Awards), “Mono No Aware” (Hugo Award winner), “The Waves” (Nebula Award finalist), “The Bookmaking Habits of Select Species” (Nebula and Sturgeon Award finalists), “All the Flavors” (Nebula Award finalist), “The Litigation Master and the Monkey King” (Nebula Award finalist), and the most awarded story in the genre’s history, “The Paper Menagerie” (The only story to win the Hugo, Nebula, and World Fantasy awards).

Insightful and stunning stories that plumb the struggle against history and betrayal of relationships in pivotal moments, this collection showcases one of our greatest and original voices.

Genre: Short Stories, Magical Realism, Science Fiction, Fantasy

Length: Around 464 pages (116,000 words)

PS. For series, I put down the first book of the in the publication/reading order unless otherwise specified. I wasn’t entirely certain if some comments were actual suggestions or just general conversing. I’m sorry if I accidentally added or missed something I wasn’t supposed to – although certainly there is plenty to choose from in this list. In the future, perhaps, we should also limit the amount of suggestions to one per person?

19.04.2023 11:45:57

space_pirate666
Level 57
Sex Appeal: 146965
Antitheocra
19.04.2023 14:21:01
space_pirate666

Omg so many cute options! Def a lot of classic picks but also something new and exiting <3 can’t wait :)

19.04.2023 14:21:01
Vampire Fangs GIF - Vampire Fangs - Discover  Share GIFs
「DECADANCE」- Counting Goats... if I can't be yours-
Level 80
Sex Appeal: 399963
Atheista

great suggestions everyone! can't wait to see what we're reading

19.04.2023 17:22:15
*hands you a monster*
babiimama
Level 28
Sex Appeal: 17043
Secville
19.04.2023 17:45:30
babiimama

Wendy, Darling by A.C. Wise!
I've been meaning to read this book for almost a year but this is the perfect place to help motivate me!
Basically it's Wendy telling the story from Peter Pan as an adult, and is put into an insane asylum.

19.04.2023 17:45:30
Too Old For You
But Not Your Dad
XOXOXOXOXO
StrangeKindOfWoman
Level 94
Sex Appeal: 648334
Antitheocra
19.04.2023 20:13:33
StrangeKindOfWoman

Thank you for all the work you've put into this Melpomene! I missed the suggestions but there are some very interesting choices.

19.04.2023 20:13:33
I am always stressed out by not knowing how to act like a normal person

Please LOGIN to post a reply.

Ximboland asks you to accept cookies for performance, social media and advertising purposes. Social media and advertising cookies of third parties are used to offer you social media functionalities and personalised ads. To get more information about these cookies and the processing of your personal data, check our Privacy & Cookie Policy.
For more information on Google's privacy policy please see here. By continuing to browse you consent to our cookies.
OK

Cookies and Policy

Cookies Policy

Ximbolands uses cookies on https://ximbo.land. By using the Service, you consent to the use of cookies.

Our Cookies Policy explains what cookies are, how we use cookies, how third-parties we may partner with may use cookies on the Service, your choices regarding cookies and further information about cookies.

What are cookies

Cookies are small pieces of text sent by your web browser by a website you visit. A cookie file is stored in your web browser and allows the Service or a third-party to recognize you and make your next visit easier and the Service more useful to you.

Cookies can be "persistent" or "session" cookies.

How Ximbolands uses cookies

When you use and access the Service, we may place a number of cookies files in your web browser.

We use cookies for the following purposes: to enable certain functions of the Service, to provide analytics, to store your preferences, to enable advertisements delivery, including behavioral advertising.

We use both session and persistent cookies on the Service and we use different types of cookies to run the Service. We may use essential cookies to authenticate users and prevent fraudulent use of user accounts.

Third-party cookies

In addition to our own cookies, we may also use various third-parties cookies to report usage statistics of the Service, deliver advertisements on and through the Service, and so on.

What are your choices regarding cookies

If you'd like to delete cookies or instruct your web browser to delete or refuse cookies, please visit the help pages of your web browser.

Please note, however, that if you delete cookies or refuse to accept them, you might not be able to use all of the features we offer, you may not be able to store your preferences, and some of our pages might not display properly.

Where can your find more information about cookies

You can learn more about cookies and the following third-party websites:

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Ximbo land ?
The Internet republic of Ximbo lands is the worlds first Internet republic.

What is its mission?
To unite the world.

Where is MissBimbo.com? Miss Bimbo was much better than this site.
The Internet republic of Ximbo land was created by Miss Bimbo herself and is its more intelligent successor. The old site was for junior bimbos. This site is for intelligent Ximbos.

What is the national flag of Ximbo land?
Ximbolands Flag

When was the Internet republic of Ximbo land founded

What is the capital city of the Internet republic of Ximbo land?
Bimbo City

How many states make up the internet republic of Ximbo land?
There are 6 states that make up the internet republic of Ximbo lands. They are ­ Atheistia, Freethinkerland, Reasonopia, Agnostica, Secville, and Antitheocra. Bimbo City is the neutral administrative capital and is its own city zone. Boob Island is the home of the President of the Internet republic of Ximbo land

What is a Ximbo citizen?
A ‘Ximbo’ or ‘Ximbo citizen’ is a member of the internet republic of Ximbolands community.

How can I become a Ximbo citizen?
In order to become a citizen of Ximboland you must first pass the Ximbolands citizens test. It is free to become a Ximbo citizen.

What is a Ximbo senator?
A Ximbo senator is a senior member of the Internet republic of Ximbo land. Only senators are eligible to put themselves forward for election to become State Ministers and then ultimately the Prime Ximbo.

Who is the Prime Ximbo?
The Prime Ximbo is the democratically elected head of the Internet republic of Ximbo land.

Where does the Prime Ximbo live?
The Prime Ximbo lives in the Pink House for the 4 month term they are in office.

I want to become Prime Ximbo. How do I do that?
Any Ximbo citizen can become Prime Ximbo using the democratic process. Its a 3 stage process from Senator>State Minister> Prime Ximbo. All Ximbo citizens can vote in general elections but in order to put themselves forward to become Prime Ximbo they must first become a Ximbo senator. All Ximbo senators are electable as state ministers. State Minister elections take place every 4 months also. Only state ministers are eligible to then become the Prime Ximbo.

Can I become Prime Ximbo more than once?
Yes ­ a Ximbo can hold the position of Prime Ximbo for 3 terms max.

How often do elections take place?
The Internet republic of Ximbolands holds elections every 4 months for Prime Ximbo and 4 months for State Minister.

Where do important discussions take place?
The Forum.

What is the treasury/Prime Ximbos salary?
The treasury/salary is the bank account of the Internet republic of Ximbo land. This figure is transferred to the paypal account of the Prime Ximbo at the end of their 4 month term in charge.

How is the treasury calculated?
The treasury is funded by the Ximbo citizens.
A percentage of the money paid by Ximbo citizens via Paypal and SMS is transferred into the Ximbo treasury. The rest is wisely used for further game development.

What's the national colour of Ximbo land?
Pink

How old must I be in order to become a Ximbo land citizen?
Anyone over the age of 18 are welcome to become a Ximbo citizen.

When are the national holidays of Ximbo land?
Jan 1st ­ New years day
Feb 12th ­ Darwin day
Feb 14th ­ Lovers day
March 8th ­ Womens day
March 21st ­ Spring solstice
April 13th ­ The Hitchslap Day (Christopher Hitchens birthday)
May 3rd ­ National day of reason
June 21st ­ World Humanist Day
Aug 2nd ­ The Internet republic of Ximbo land national day
Sep 21st ­ Peace one day
Dec 25th ­ Newtons birthday

What is the currency of Ximbo land?
The Ximbo Dollar (B$). Currently it is pegged in value to the US$

Who is the President of Ximbo land?
Miss Bimbo is the president of Ximbo land. She founded the bimbo nation in 2007 after escaping the tyranny, bigotry and and conservatism of the old world. You can read more about her here and here

Report a problem

Type name of the Ximbo you are looking for...