Author
Heydi
Heydi
Level 51
Sex Appeal: 105536
Atheista
03.02.2024 05:01:22
Heydi

In this thread I invite you to learn Chinese Mandarin along side me! 
Since I am still a beginner this will act as like a sort of public notebook of my study, but I will try to start at the start of the HSK so if you want to learn along side me you can! 
Some posts might be, systematic learning of the HSK, vocabulary I have learnt recently, find interest or useful, sentence break downs, resources I find helpful, or even a more technical approach where I break down concepts of the language and the characters.

If you already understand some mandarin and can communicate using simplified Chinese, you are welcome to converse and practice here a little every now and again. All site rules still apply, I will be checking!

Ok for some further information:
In China many different languages are spoken, (dialects). Mandarin is one of these and the most popular. Spoken in many countries outside of China. Due to China having so many dialects, Mandarin is considered to be the standard/official language. In Hong Kong, Cantonese is more common.
Mainland China typically uses simplified Chinese. That is what I will be using here! (China doesn't have an alphabet like English, instead it is characters that represent concepts)
I will be referring to simplified Chinese characters are probably just hanzi, or simplified CN later on, just for ease. If I post or use traditional characters, I will clarify.
I likely wont post pinyin for everything, sorry. However I will make a resource list that I will update when I find things. So that you can find the answers you need!
Pinyin is a representation of how sounds are pronounced in Chinese using English letters. Each like word is made up of three parts, an initial sound, a final and a tone. Pinyin was created for Chinese students, so much of it's pronunciation does not follow English conventions. I don't plan on focusing on pronunciation much here.

HSK
HSK stands for Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi
Which is a test that measures Chinese proficiency and is the standard test in Mainland China. 

I hope this is enough information that you will be able to expect what posts are to follow! 

03.02.2024 05:01:22
she/they learn mandarin with me ^v^ or if you prefer vtubers :3
like peoples forum posts and comments.
comment more than you receive and ill make sure to comment on your profile!
Iowa
Level 70
Sex Appeal: 270060
Reasonopia
03.02.2024 05:50:01
Iowa

such a cool idea!

03.02.2024 05:50:01
✖ he/him pronouns ✖ chris/sweetasnuts doesnt care about this game
reivalentine
Level 70
Sex Appeal: 272354
Agnostica
03.02.2024 05:56:41
reivalentine

"Knowing and seeing you do what you love is an ever joy, Dear Heydi. Blessings always." ♥️

03.02.2024 05:56:41
✿Contests✿:Xod,Vogue:Pollyx♥️Spotlight,Birthday Ball:Katrynah♥️ Wednesday,Raffle:CraigslistStripper♥️Liminal:Hera_♥️LAN:Audrey_Lynn♥️Realm: Honey Beee♥️Bunny:Blecky89♥️
For me in contests: Participation only. No diamonds please. Only Banners. Thank you. ♥️
Janeze321
Level 151
Sex Appeal: 2705392
Freethinkerland
03.02.2024 06:49:11
Janeze321

Lovely! thank you Heydi. Lets go...

03.02.2024 06:49:11
Peace and love to you all.
If you have a gun in your hand I won't vote for you and if You're fighting one of these I won't vote for you either.
Angi Lovelace
Level 45
Sex Appeal: 70497
Freethinkerland
03.02.2024 06:56:51
Angi Lovelace

Best of luck Heydi! :) I'm Chinese American and this is such a cool idea. <3

03.02.2024 06:56:51
Inspiration is everywhere~
Heydi
Level 51
Atheista
03.02.2024 09:25:46
Heydi

Thank you guys :)

Ok so firstly some resources!

Physical:
The HSK Standard Course - textbook collection for the HSK

Online dictionaries
Pleco - mobile
MDBG - my favourite
Chinese Yabla
stroke order - stroke order dictionary

Pinyin Chart
Chinese Yabla - you can listen to all tones for each syllabol, there is also information on how to make some of the harder sounds

Learn Tones
ArchChinese

Apps for learning
ChineseSkill - their old course is completely free and has grammar breakdowns
TOFU Learn - free way to learn to handwrite hanzi
HelloTalk - Language exchange, talk to native speakers

Flashcards
Anki
Quizlet

HSK info
MandarinBean - has grammar information as well as all of the HSK Vocab

Other
I use notion or organise my notes
I have started making irl flashcards
you can use google sheets to create your own dictionary, I organise mine by initial sound
viki - watch Chinese and Taiwanese (or other countries) dramas
Chinese Converter - hanzi to pinyin, stroke orders and more

Chinese apps I use for exposure
bilibili - like youtube or niconico, but is Chinese
小红书 (little red book) - imagine a cross between pinterest and and instagram
weibo - like Chinese twitter

Youtube Channels I like
LingLing Mandarin

03.02.2024 09:25:46
Heydi
Level 51
Atheista
04.02.2024 08:51:41
Heydi

For post 2 lets start with HSK 3.0 level 1 theory and words

Saying hello

Relevant new characters

你 nǐ you
您 nín a polite way to say “you”
好 hǎo good, fine. There are many other uses but this is what is relevant for now.
们 men this is a plural marker, so instead of the word changing like in English, this is tacked on to the end of a word to indicate there are multiple people as the subject. So 你(you) can become 你们 (you all)

Words

你好 [hello] ní hǎo Yes you are saying [you good]

您好 [hello (polite)] nín hǎo

你们好 [hello (plural)] nǐ men hǎo

Conversation

To reply to someone saying hello to you, you can just say the same thing in return. Like:
person a: 你好 [hello]
person b: 你好 [hello]

A note on tones
Sometimes depending on the pair, tones will change because of what they are next to, so if there are two third tones, the first one will become a second tone. This can be seen in the phrase 你好, where 你 becomes second tone. Because we aren’t learning how to pronounce here I won’t be mentioning this too often, but please keep this in mind and do extra research if you want to speak Mandarin. Also please keep in mind that sometimes the pinyin I post won’t reflect this, if that is the case, it was an accident TvT and I am sorry for any confusion.

Saying goodbye

new hanzi

在 zài to exist, to be located at

见 jiàn to see, to meet

拜 bài to pay respect, worship

words

再见 [goodbye, see you again] zàijiàn

拜拜 [(loadword) bye-bye] báibái

Saying sorry and replying

new hanzi

对 duì correct

不 bù not, no

起 qǐ to rise

没 méi have not, not.

关 guān mountain pass, to close, to shut

系 xì to worry

The phrases

对不起 [I’m sorry] duìbuqǐ

没关系 [it's ok/it doesn’t matter] méi guānxi.

end of chapter 1

Saying thank you

谢 xiè to thank

客 kè customer, visitor, guest

气 qì gas, air

谢谢 [thanks, thank you] xièxie

谢谢你 [thank you] xièxie nǐ

不谢 [don’t mention it] bùxiè

不客气 [you’re welcome, don’t mention it] bùkèqi

再见 and 谢谢 for reading <3

04.02.2024 08:51:41
Heydi
Level 51
Atheista
05.02.2024 10:13:48
Heydi

I was going to post the next post in the HSK series but I feel too tired to continue writing it up. So instead here is the first sentence of the Chinese print of the Hunger games.
Chapter 1, 抽签日 (抽签 means to draw lots, a ballot)

Chinese print: “我睡醒的时候,床的另外半边冷冰冰的。”

English print: “When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold.”

Google translate cn-en: “When I woke up, the other half of the bed was cold.”

Meaning of each word

我, I, me 

睡醒, to wake up 

的, posessive partical 

时候, time, length of time, moment, period

床, bed, couch, classifier for beds 

另外, in addition, besides 

半边, half of something, one side of something 

冷冰冰, cold, frosty, icy

05.02.2024 10:13:48

Please LOGIN to post a reply.

Ximboland asks you to accept cookies for performance, social media and advertising purposes. Social media and advertising cookies of third parties are used to offer you social media functionalities and personalised ads. To get more information about these cookies and the processing of your personal data, check our Privacy & Cookie Policy.
For more information on Google's privacy policy please see here. By continuing to browse you consent to our cookies.
OK

Cookies and Policy

Cookies Policy

Ximbolands uses cookies on https://ximbo.land. By using the Service, you consent to the use of cookies.

Our Cookies Policy explains what cookies are, how we use cookies, how third-parties we may partner with may use cookies on the Service, your choices regarding cookies and further information about cookies.

What are cookies

Cookies are small pieces of text sent by your web browser by a website you visit. A cookie file is stored in your web browser and allows the Service or a third-party to recognize you and make your next visit easier and the Service more useful to you.

Cookies can be "persistent" or "session" cookies.

How Ximbolands uses cookies

When you use and access the Service, we may place a number of cookies files in your web browser.

We use cookies for the following purposes: to enable certain functions of the Service, to provide analytics, to store your preferences, to enable advertisements delivery, including behavioral advertising.

We use both session and persistent cookies on the Service and we use different types of cookies to run the Service. We may use essential cookies to authenticate users and prevent fraudulent use of user accounts.

Third-party cookies

In addition to our own cookies, we may also use various third-parties cookies to report usage statistics of the Service, deliver advertisements on and through the Service, and so on.

What are your choices regarding cookies

If you'd like to delete cookies or instruct your web browser to delete or refuse cookies, please visit the help pages of your web browser.

Please note, however, that if you delete cookies or refuse to accept them, you might not be able to use all of the features we offer, you may not be able to store your preferences, and some of our pages might not display properly.

Where can your find more information about cookies

You can learn more about cookies and the following third-party websites:

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Ximbo land ?
The Internet republic of Ximbo lands is the worlds first Internet republic.

What is its mission?
To unite the world.

Where is MissBimbo.com? Miss Bimbo was much better than this site.
The Internet republic of Ximbo land was created by Miss Bimbo herself and is its more intelligent successor. The old site was for junior bimbos. This site is for intelligent Ximbos.

What is the national flag of Ximbo land?
Ximbolands Flag

When was the Internet republic of Ximbo land founded

What is the capital city of the Internet republic of Ximbo land?
Bimbo City

How many states make up the internet republic of Ximbo land?
There are 6 states that make up the internet republic of Ximbo lands. They are ­ Atheistia, Freethinkerland, Reasonopia, Agnostica, Secville, and Antitheocra. Bimbo City is the neutral administrative capital and is its own city zone. Boob Island is the home of the President of the Internet republic of Ximbo land

What is a Ximbo citizen?
A ‘Ximbo’ or ‘Ximbo citizen’ is a member of the internet republic of Ximbolands community.

How can I become a Ximbo citizen?
In order to become a citizen of Ximboland you must first pass the Ximbolands citizens test. It is free to become a Ximbo citizen.

What is a Ximbo senator?
A Ximbo senator is a senior member of the Internet republic of Ximbo land. Only senators are eligible to put themselves forward for election to become State Ministers and then ultimately the Prime Ximbo.

Who is the Prime Ximbo?
The Prime Ximbo is the democratically elected head of the Internet republic of Ximbo land.

Where does the Prime Ximbo live?
The Prime Ximbo lives in the Pink House for the 4 month term they are in office.

I want to become Prime Ximbo. How do I do that?
Any Ximbo citizen can become Prime Ximbo using the democratic process. Its a 3 stage process from Senator>State Minister> Prime Ximbo. All Ximbo citizens can vote in general elections but in order to put themselves forward to become Prime Ximbo they must first become a Ximbo senator. All Ximbo senators are electable as state ministers. State Minister elections take place every 4 months also. Only state ministers are eligible to then become the Prime Ximbo.

Can I become Prime Ximbo more than once?
Yes ­ a Ximbo can hold the position of Prime Ximbo for 3 terms max.

How often do elections take place?
The Internet republic of Ximbolands holds elections every 4 months for Prime Ximbo and 4 months for State Minister.

Where do important discussions take place?
The Forum.

What is the treasury/Prime Ximbos salary?
The treasury/salary is the bank account of the Internet republic of Ximbo land. This figure is transferred to the paypal account of the Prime Ximbo at the end of their 4 month term in charge.

How is the treasury calculated?
The treasury is funded by the Ximbo citizens.
A percentage of the money paid by Ximbo citizens via Paypal and SMS is transferred into the Ximbo treasury. The rest is wisely used for further game development.

What's the national colour of Ximbo land?
Pink

How old must I be in order to become a Ximbo land citizen?
Anyone over the age of 18 are welcome to become a Ximbo citizen.

When are the national holidays of Ximbo land?
Jan 1st ­ New years day
Feb 12th ­ Darwin day
Feb 14th ­ Lovers day
March 8th ­ Womens day
March 21st ­ Spring solstice
April 13th ­ The Hitchslap Day (Christopher Hitchens birthday)
May 3rd ­ National day of reason
June 21st ­ World Humanist Day
Aug 2nd ­ The Internet republic of Ximbo land national day
Sep 21st ­ Peace one day
Dec 25th ­ Newtons birthday

What is the currency of Ximbo land?
The Ximbo Dollar (B$). Currently it is pegged in value to the US$

Who is the President of Ximbo land?
Miss Bimbo is the president of Ximbo land. She founded the bimbo nation in 2007 after escaping the tyranny, bigotry and and conservatism of the old world. You can read more about her here and here

Report a problem

Type name of the Ximbo you are looking for...